If you know anything about loose-fill asbestos, you probably know it is not a positive thing to have in a building you happen to live in.
What you may not know about loose-fill asbestos insulation, however, is if it could be somewhere in your home.
Why is it in your home? — This is because millions of people all over the world now live in houses and apartments that were once insulated with various types of asbestos. Over the years, these buildings have changed hands and the history of their construction was not passed on with them.
That is why, if you or someone in your family has been having breathing problems, and you suspect asbestos may be the cause, now is the time to find out if the building you currently live in or own was once insulated with it.
Why is asbestos a possible culprit? — While asbestos is most definitely a dangerous material, the type that is generally called loose-fill is even more troublesome. This is due to the small size of the pieces used in this type of insulation, and the fact that they continue to degrade with age.
As these small pieces degrade, microscopic pieces can get into the air via small holes in your floors, ceilings, ventilation systems and walls. As they do, they begin to circulate in the air you breathe.
Breathe in one of these tiny pieces and it could be sucked into your air passageways and then down into your lungs. Once there it can attach itself to your lungs and begin to irritate them.
Home-testing — Thankfully, there are home-testing kits available that will help you test your house or apartment.
These kits come with everything you need to test your home. Once you have finished taking the required samples, you then send them off to the laboratory that is included in the price you paid for the kit. They will send you your results within 48 hours.