If you have heard about loose-fill asbestos insulation, you have probably also heard how dangerous it can be. So much so, the Australian government recommends you have your home tested for loose-fill asbestos insulation the minute you feel it may be present.
As asbestos goes, loose-fill asbestos insulation is the most dangerous kind there is, with many reasons for why your home should get tested for it.
Why is loose-fill asbestos insulation dangerous? — Unlike larger sheets of asbestos that were once used for insulation, loose-fill asbestos is made up of tiny pieces of asbestos. These pieces disintegrate over time, and then the small pieces escape into the air.
Once in the air, you, your family or your pets can breathe them in. If they get trapped in your lungs, they can quickly cause breathing problems and, ultimately, even cancer. This is why loose-fill asbestos is so dangerous and should be removed as soon as you know your home has it.
How do you test for loose-fill asbestos? — You can test it yourself with a home test kit. This requires taking samples of materials from inside walls and underneath sinks and transferring them to glass vials. Once finished, you will then send the vials to a lab where the material will be tested for asbestos.
Professional asbestos testing — If you do not feel comfortable doing the testing yourself, you can also hire a professional testing company that will do it for you.
They will send a technician to your home to do the proper testing, and will then send the samples to a lab. If it is discovered you do have loose-fill asbestos insulation in your home, they will then contact you and go over some of the options you have to completely get rid of it.